Autism-in-Mind supports parents, carers and families living with autism and other special educational needs in Sunderland.
We can provide an advocate for parents, carers and adults with autism. All of our advocates live with autism themselves and have a good understanding and knowledge of autism, essential when communicating with the professionals and services providers who may come into our lives following a diagnosis of autism.
We can offer support adults with AS/HFA who are undergoing benefit assessments and reassessments. We advocate for adults in the work related activity group and adults taking part in work programme.
AIM is run solely by a core group of volunteers all of whom are living with autism and other special needs.
AIM has no paid employees.
We offer support and a listening ear to parents who are seeking, or who are in the process of obtaining a diagnosis for their child.
- We attend school reviews and meetings with parents and carers.
- Support parents who are applying for an Education Health and Care Plan for their children.
- Provide a link between parents and professionals involved in their lives.
- Liaise with the professionals who are working with their children.
- Help parents to understand their child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Help parents with draft Education Health and Care Plans when they are issued
- Have resources that can support both parents and children with autism.
- Support parents when they are dealing with DLA forms.
- Offer support at DLA tribunals.
- Support parents who are home educating their children with autism.
- We can help parents to understand their child's behaviour.
- We can help parents to identify their child's sensory issues.
We hold regular parents meetings, and regular meetings for adults who have Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism.
We offer online and telephone support to parents and carers.
AIM Telephone - 07577 374 206 e-mail email@example.com
"I'm proud to be a Patron of AIM. It is such an active group of parents who are providing vital support to each other, to make life easier for families with a child with autism in Sunderland. I'm also inspired by the campaigning work AIM undertakes, to lobby for better services." Simon Baron Cohen
Our Patrons are Professor Simon Baron Cohen, Lynne Moxon, Ian Jordan and Jessica Peers